Questions Interviewers Frequently Ask
About Yourself (Analytical)
- Tell me about yourself.
- Who do you most admire in the whole world? Why?
- What are your short-range and long-range goals and
- When and why did you establish these goals and how are you
preparing yourself to achieve them?
- What do you see yourself doing in five years? Ten
- What change would you make in your college?
- Tell me about someone who has been a very significant person
in your life.
- In what kind of work environment are you most
- What characteristics make up a good boss, supervisor, or
- What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
- How do you work under pressure?
- What major problem or decision have you encountered and how
did you handle it?
- What have you learned from the jobs you have held? What job
has helped you the most?
- What qualifications do you have that make you feel that you
will be successful in your chosen field?
- Why did you select Samford?
- If you were starting all over again, what would you do
- Have you ever changed your major field of interest while in
college? Why? Why did you choose your major?
- What have you enjoyed most about your education?
- How do you determine when you are successfully doing your
- What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?
- If you could, how would you plan your academic studies
- What is your feeling about getting paid for the job you do
rather than for how long it takes you to do it?
- What qualities do you value in a supervisor?
- How were you treated by your previous employer? Why did you
leave that job?
- What have you done to show willingness and initiative toward
completing a task?
- Do you think your grades are a good indication of your
- What would you like your coworkers to say about you? What
would you like your supervisor to say about you?
- How do you get along with fellow workers?
- How would you describe yourself?
- How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well
would describe you?
- What motivates you to put forward your greatest
- What jobs have you enjoyed the most? the least? Why?
- What types of people do you find most difficult to deal
- Why were your grades in college so low?
- Describe the relationship that should exist between a
supervisor and subordinates.
- Do you think grades should be considered by employers?
- What do you do when you are overwhelmed?
- What intimidates you?
About Yourself (Informational)
- In what school activities have you participated? Why? Which
did you enjoy most?
- Do you think your extracurricular activities were worth the
time you devoted to them?
- What leadership or supervisory roles have you held?
- What courses did you like best in school? the least?
- What do you do in your spare time for enjoyment?
- How have you spent your free time and summers during
college? What did you learn from these experiences?
- What books, journals or other publications have you read
- What two accomplishments have given you the most
satisfaction and why?
- Do you have special interests or hobbies? What are
- In what geographic area would you prefer to work?
- How do you feel about relocating?
- Are you willing to spend at least 6 months as a
- Why do you think you might like to live in this
- How much traveling is acceptable to you?
- What are your plans for continuing education?
- What are your plans for an advanced degree? What are your
alternate plans if you are not accepted into professional or graduate
- What jobs have you held? How were they obtained and why did
- What academic achievements are you most proud of?
- What was your favorite non-major class and why?
About Your Knowledge of the Occupational Field/Organization or
School and Various Opportunities
- Why do you think you would like to work for XYZ
- What do you know about XYZ company?
- Where do you see yourself fitting in the best on our
- Why did you decide to seek a position with this
organization? (or admission to this school)?
- What criteria are you using to evaluate this organization?
- Why do you think you would like this particular job?
- What do you think determines a personís progress in a good
- If you were hiring a graduate for this position, what
qualities would you look for?
- How has your coursework prepared you for this
- How has your previous work experience prepared you for this
- What experiences have you had in this field?
- Why did you choose your particular field of work or
- Why did you choose the career for which you are
- What do you know about opportunities in the field in which
you are trained?
- What area of this position would you find most
- What do you think would be the most demanding aspect of the
job for you?
- In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our
organization? What can we do for you?
- What qualities should a successful _______ possess?
- In what areas of this job would you expect to be most
- What do you think it takes to be successful in an
organization like ours?
- What special skills or talents or qualifications do you have
that you think would be an asset in this position?
- What would be the two most important aspects of this
position which could influence you to accept or reject the position?
- What do you expect to be earning in 5 years?
- What are your top priorities in a job? (Money, travel,
- How do you plan to use your skills in the job world?
- What is the perfect job for you?
- Is there any reason why you could not make it to work every
- Would you rather work independently or with a team?
- How do you define the customer?
- How would you see that the customer is pleased?
- Is there anything else I should ask about you? Is there any
other information you wish to share?
- What questions would you like to ask me?
- Did you help finance any of your educational expenses?
- Why should I hire you? (What makes you think you could be
successful in this job?)
- How do you determine or evaluate success? How do you define
- How would you describe the ideal job for you after